View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 08:33 PM
RWCA Admiral

Default K38 Participates During Training

December 10th, 2011 Morro Bay, California

During my last K38 Rescue Water Craft course of the calendar year, I pushed off my Kawasaki JET SKI and reached for a floating piece of plastic. I easily recognized what was in my grasp. I reached back over my shoulder and opened my Force 6 Lifejacket pouch, dropping the debris in and zipping closed the top I clambered back on to watch my students in the waves perform their rotations.

During training, the ocean is on a constant drift and reset. I monitor my landmarks to reposition. As I'm looking up towards the sand dune a noticeable flash curls above the rise of sand. I squint to stare at the cleft, again another familiar object sways. A clasp of birthday balloons still inflated and fresh are caught within their ribbon tendrils snarled on the sage brush. I push off again and run towards the dune about 100 yards away, leaving my rescue boat in the shallow waters, pulling out my rescue knife. I untangle the ribbons, slice the balloons, gather them and twine them into a small ball.

Back at my JET SKI I stash them in the front cowling cover of the hood. The pile is growing. Soon, I have filled up the JET SKI and hit my limit for storage capacity. Even during races or trainings, I recover the discarded items of my fellow citizens. And especially att event management jobs I'm hired to direct, I require my water safety staff to conduct hourly inspections and beach checks for refuse removal. It doesn't take much effort once it becomes an operational standard. Sometimes the size and weight of the debris can be a problem for recovery and disposal in some conditions. But we manage what is doable.

I have been teaching my child this human behavior. It's just that, simply a behavior. Pick up your garbage and that of those around you, just because you can do it. You will feel better.
K38-

http://k38watersafety.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Training With Trash on My Back